[dpdk-dev] working with VMXNET3 driver in a "NIC Connected to a vSwitch" setup on VMware

Yan Freedland YanF at Radware.com
Wed Oct 29 18:48:15 CET 2014

Hi

I am interested in working with VMXNET3 driver in a NIC - vSwitch fashion on VMware.

For that purpose I did the following:

1.       On my VMware VM I compiled the driver and loaded it as described in http://dpdk.org/doc/vmxnet3-usermap

2.       Using vSphere client I created 2 network adapters of VMXNET3 type and assigned a relevant port-group to allow a client-server connectivity later on.

My question is how should I pick and bind ports to the driver. Should I use dpdk_nic_bind.py script as I did with igb_uio ? if yes, how may I find the port addresses ?

Besides should I do something special in environment initialization (e.g. ports, memory, etc...) that I didn't do for virtio or ixgbe ?
For instance it looks logical to me to use vmxnet3-usermap in my commands (e.g. dpdk_nic_bind.py --bind= vmxnet3-usermap <port number>) instead of igb_uio but I don't really know how.

Thank you
Yan