[dpdk-dev] LRU using DPDK 1.7

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Tue Sep 23 03:33:56 CEST 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 01:08:21AM +0000, Saha, Avik (AWS) wrote:
> I was wondering if there is way to use the rte_table_hash_lru without
> building a pipeline - Basically using the same hash table like functionality
> of add, delete and lookup without setting up a pipeline and connect it to
> ports etc.

I've been finding that rte_hash is designed only for some very specialized
purposes. It doesn't work well if you use unexpected sizes of keys or want
behavior that isn't precisely doing what the designers of the hash used it
for... it's not very general-purpose.

I did try to point out one example of the issue but I didn't get much response
yet to my questions about its limitations and whether a more general-purpose
table was available, or at least some discussion what rte_hash is for and what
it's not for.

Matthew.