[dpdk-dev] KNI and memzones

Jay Rolette rolette at infiniteio.com
Tue Sep 23 20:53:05 CEST 2014

I can't discuss product details openly yet, but I'm happy to have a
detailed discussion under NDA with Intel. In fact, we had an early NDA
discussion with Intel about it a few months ago.

That said, the use case isn't tied so closely to my product that I can't
describe it in general terms...

Imagine a box that installs in your network as a transparent
bump-in-the-wire. Traffic comes in port 1 and is processed by our
DPDK-based engine, then the packets are forwarded out port 2, where they
head to their original destination. From a network topology point of view,
the box is mostly invisible.

Same process applies for traffic going the other way (RX on port 2,
special-sauce processing in DPDK app, TX on port 1).

If you are familiar with network security products, this is very much how
IPS devices work.

Where KNI comes into play is for several user-space apps that need to use
the normal network stack (sockets) to communicate over the _same_ ports
used on the main data path. We use KNI to create a virtual port with an IP
address overlaid on the "invisible" data path ports.

This isn't just for control traffic. It's obviously not line-rate
processing, but we need to get all the bandwidth we can out of it.

Let me know if that makes sense or if I need to clarify some things. If
you'd rather continue this as an NDA discussion, just shoot me an email
directly.

Regards,
Jay