[dpdk-dev] rte_malloc_socket UNABLE to allocate 8GB.

Dmitry Vyal dmitryvyal at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 17:26:35 CEST 2014

Dear list,

I'm experiencing problems allocating big chunks of memory with
rte_malloc_socket. Basically, it successfully allocates 6GB but returns
NULL when I try to allocate 8GB. I tried dpdk-1.5.1 and 1.7.1 and got
similar behavior. First machine I was trying this on had 29*1GB
hugepages on single NUMA node, preallocated using grub. Another one had
14000*2Mb hugepages split between two sockets.

Are there any restrictions on maximum size of the block to be allocated
with rte_malloc_socket?

$ mount |grep hug
nodev on /mnt/huge type hugetlbfs (rw,pagesize=1Gb)

$ cat /sys/kernel/mm/hugepages/hugepages-1048576kB/nr_hugepages
29

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu