[dpdk-dev] Safe practices for adding to rte_table_hash_lru

Gray, Mark D mark.d.gray at intel.com
Thu Sep 25 10:03:03 CEST 2014

> Hey guys
>    Is it safe to add an entry to the rte_table_hash while the pipeline is being
> run - for instance if I were to try and add an entry on a port reader action
> when the packet enters the pipeline?

If the table is part of the pipeline, it is not safe. i.e. the table is not threadsafe.

You can use a control message ring to add entries to the table in an
asynchronous manner. Your main dpdk loop would then periodically handle
these messages. There are examples of this in Intel DPDK vSwitch (https://github.com/01org/dpdk-ovs)
and also, I think, in the DPDK ip_pipeline sample application.