[dpdk-dev] Running DPDK with Docker

Andre Richter andre.o.richter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 08:36:08 CEST 2015

The uio drivers are not secured by an iommu.
Therefore, you could misuse the NIC to DMA read/write into any part of
memory, e.g. reading or writing to memory of the host or other containers.

This is a security breach if you enable a container to do this by giving it
access via uio, because you have them to isolate processes against each
other in the first place.

VFIO uses iommus to protect against that, but you need capable hardware,
e.g. Intel VT-d support on x86.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOMMU

Cheers,
Andre