[dpdk-dev] [snabb-devel] Re: memory barriers in virtq.lua?

Luke Gorrie luke at snabb.co
Wed Apr 8 05:40:11 CEST 2015

On 7 April 2015 at 17:30, Michael S. Tsirkin <mst at redhat.com> wrote:

> Just guessing from the available info:
>
> I think you refer to this:
>         The driver MUST handle spurious interrupts from the device.
>
> The intent is to be able to handle some spurious interrupts once in a
> while.  AFAIK linux triggers the message if it gets a huge number of
> spurious interrupts for an extended period of time.
> For example, this will trigger if the device does not clear interrupt
> line after interrupt register read.

Thanks for that info.

The only spurious interrupt that I think we need is one when vhost-user
reconnects. That would be to cover the case where the vswitch is restarted
after writing used->idx but before sending the interrupt.

Or perhaps there is a better solution to that case?

Looking forward to getting an upstream vhost-user reconnect. one thing at a
time.. :)

Cheers,
-Luke