[dpdk-dev] tools brainstorming

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Wed Apr 8 18:25:44 CEST 2015

On 4/8/15, 11:16 AM, "Thomas Monjalon" <thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com> wrote:

>2015-04-08 15:53, Wiles, Keith:
>> One of the biggest problems with any style is helping the developer
>> maintain the style. Using some tool does help and I have used astyle
>> before, not bad code formatter. Here is a few that seem to be
>>reasonable.
>>
>> http://astyle.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> http://uncrustify.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gcgreatcode/
>
>I'm not sure it's a good idea to convert the codebase automatically.
>The coding style must be a reference for new patches and they must be
>automatically checked with a dedicated checkpatch tool.

I was not suggesting these tools be used automatically only to get code to
comply as it is being imported or patched. If we product a config file for
one of the above tools then everyone can review his code before sending
the patch.

>By forbidding patches which don't comply, the codebase will be naturally
>converted over time.

It is difficult to view patches to determine if they comply, which is the
only problem. Seeing the patched file is easier to see code format
problems IMO.