[dpdk-dev] Saving packet timestamp when reading from pcap

Dor Green dorgreen1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 14:02:40 CEST 2015

Aside from testing, this also has the benefit of being able to run a
capture file through your application without having to send it
through another NIC (if you have only one, that'd be impossible, for
example). I can see this being needed if you had, for instance, a DPI
app in DPDK and wanted to run older recorded data through it (say
because your server was down for a couple of days).

As for NIC HW timestamps, DPDK does not supply access to those at the
moment (I think). That's why I suggested that if a timestamp field was
added to the mbuf struct, it could be used if/when HW timestamps are
supported it DPDK.