[dpdk-dev] Performance regression in DPDK 1.8/2.0

De Lara Guarch, Pablo pablo.de.lara.guarch at intel.com
Mon Apr 27 19:38:38 CEST 2015

Could you tell me how you got the L1 cache miss ratio? Perf?

> > The discussion about the original patch [2] which introduced the new mbuf
> > structure addresses this potential performance degradation and mentions
> that
> > it is somehow mitigated.
> > It even claims a 20% *increase* in performance in a specific scenario.
> > However, that doesn't seem to be the case for both l2fwd and my packet
> > generator.
> >
> > Any ideas how to fix this? A 25% loss in throughput prevents me from
> > upgrading to DPDK 2.0.0. I need the new lcore features and the 40 GBit
> > driver updates, so I can't stay on 1.7.1 forever.

Could you provide more information on how you run the l2fwd app,
in order to try to reproduce the issue:
- L2fwd Command line
- L2fwd initialization (to check memory/CPU/NICs)

Did you change the l2fwd app between versions? L2fwd uses simple rx on 1.7.1,
whereas it uses vector rx on 2.0 (enable IXGBE_DEBUG_INIT to check it).

Last question, I assume you use your traffic generator to get all those numbers.
Which packet format/size did you use? Does your traffic generator take into account the Inter-packet gap?

Thanks!

Pablo