[dpdk-dev] What to do about UIO breakage in 2.0

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Tue Apr 28 07:48:04 CEST 2015

Stephen,

This mail is a bit confusing for end users of DPDK which might be why you didn't get many replies yet.

If I understand this mail right, you're saying that nothing works? Or it works, but igb_uio doesn't work, and the performance isn't good because MSI-X is not working? I am confused what you're saying exactly.

Previously I think we knew we needed to use igb_uio for almost all the non-virtual NIC PMDs, and some of the virtual NIC PMDs also, before they would load and get access to the PCIe BARs, etc. for the NICs. But now it sounds totally changed so I'm not sure what to reply.

Can you give a use case, from the perspective of the guy trying to bootstrap EAL / DPDK, what does this problem do to him if he tries it with DPDK 2.X?

Matthew.