[dpdk-dev] Beyond DPDK 2.0

Dor Laor dor at cloudius-systems.com
Tue Apr 28 09:20:43 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 5:29 AM, Jim Thompson <jim at netgate.com> wrote:

> > On Apr 26, 2015, at 4:56 PM, Neil Horman <nhorman at tuxdriver.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 04:08:23PM +0000, Wiles, Keith wrote:
> >> +1 and besides the GPL or LGPL ship has sailed IMHO and we can not go
> back.
> > Actually, IANAL, but I think we can.  The BSD license allows us to fork
> and
> > relicense the code I think, under GPL or any other license.  I'm not
> advocating
> > for that mind you, just suggesting that its possible should it ever
> become
> > needed.
>
> I, on the other hand, am fairly certain that you can not “relicense BSD
> licensed code under the GPL (or any other license).
>
> Were this true at law, then the opposite would also be possible.  (“Don’t
> like the license?  Just fork!”)

+1

While BSD carries many benefits for DPDK (similar to any other library),
GPL doesn't
carry any benefit in this case. It's not wise not to contribute back to
DPDK regardless
of any license of choice. Those who do not wish to contribute will always
manage to do..

Going back to the list of open source projects on top of DPDK I like to
mention
the SeaStar project:

       http://www.seastar-project.org

For those who aren't familiar, SeaStar is a high speed messaging framework
with a unique shared-nothing approach with a per-core granularity.
For our knowledge it offers the first open source TCP/IP implementation on
top
of DPDK along with many other advantages.

DPDK is one of the main building blocks that allow us to reach millions of
iops and we're
pretty pleased with the project - both the source code as well as the
community!

Dor