[dpdk-dev] Could DPDK ring provide peek interface or any comments for this function?

Olivier MATZ olivier.matz at 6wind.com
Tue Aug 4 14:57:16 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 08/04/2015 04:20 AM, Yan, Liming (Nokia - CN/Hangzhou) wrote:
> Hi,
>     As we see, DPDK ring has mainly the enqueue/dequeue APIs for SINGLE/MULTI producer/consumer.  I have a requirement in work to take a peek on the top object in the ring. I don't want to consume it, just check the reference of the object.  How could this be supported?   Or any alternative solution for my requirement?  Thanks.
>     I wrote my own simple peek interface but it's not MC-safe. I think it's better if DPDK can support it officially.

I think it's a good idea. I think we could avoid a test by using
the same naming convention than other functions applying to single
consumer rings.

I'm not sure the function is safe on mc rings: the pointer returned
via peek() should not be accessed while another core dequeues the
object and modify/free it.

A simplified version would be something like that:

/**
  * Peek one object from a single-consumer ring
  *
  * The returned object is not dequeued. This function does not work
  * on a multi-consumers ring.
  *
  * @param r
  *   A pointer to the ring structure.
  * @param obj_p
  *   A pointer to a void * pointer (object) that will be filled.
  * @return
  *   - 0: Success; objects dequeued.
  *   - -ENOENT: Not enough entries in the ring to peek
  */
static inline int
rte_ring_sc_peek(struct rte_ring *r, void **obj_p)
{
	if (unlikely(rte_ring_empty(r)))
		return -ENOENT;
	*obj_p = r->ring[r->cons.head & r->prod.mask];
	return 0;
}

Regards,
Olivier