[dpdk-dev] Changes to 5tuple IPv4 filters in dpdk v2.0

Kamraan Nasim knasim at sidebandnetworks.com
Tue Aug 4 22:44:16 CEST 2015

Hi DPDK community,

I've been using DPDK v1.7 and v1.8 for the past year. On updating to
v2.0.0,  I see that *rte_5tuple_filter* has been deprecated as well as the
associated install/remove call,* rte_eth_dev_add_5tuple_filter()*

I now see that rte_eth_ntuple_filter has been added in place.

1) Is there a specific reason for removing backward compatibility? As in is
there a known issue with rte_5tuple_filter infra that was discovered in
v2.0?

2) One limitation of rte_5tuple_filter was that it could not be used to
filter /24 or /16 ip addresses(subnet filtering). I now see that the
src_ip_mask and dst_ip_mask is 32 bits and a separate
RTE_NTUPLE_FLAGS_SRC_IP
<http://dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__eth__ctrl_8h.html#aff1204ca0b33628610956f840dd9b206>
  has been introduced. Does this imply that we NOW support subnet
filtering(use mask for wildcard masking)?

Any help or pointers on the subject will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Kam