[dpdk-dev] vhost-switch example: huge memory need and CRC off-loading issue

Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka at siemens.com
Fri Aug 7 19:31:08 CEST 2015

Hi again,

two findings in the vhost-switch example code that can cause grey hair
for starters:

- MAX_QUEUES of 512 causes pretty high memory need for the application
  (something between 1 and 2G) - is that really needed? I'm now running
  with 32, and I'm able to get away with 256M. Can we tune this
  default?

- hw_strip_crc is set to 0, but either the igb driver or the ET2 quad
  port adapter I'm using is ignoring this. It does strip the CRC, so
  does software, and I'm losing 4 bytes on each unpadded packet. Known
  issue?

Thanks,
Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SES-DE