[dpdk-dev] rte_eth_rx_burst only returns up to 32 packets

Vladislav Zolotarov vladz at cloudius-systems.com
Sat Aug 29 20:25:17 CEST 2015

On Aug 29, 2015 16:55, "Masood Moshref Javadi" <masood.moshref.j at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks a lot.
>
> So I assume the only way to see if there are more than 256 packets in the
> queue is to count them using rte_eth_rx_count

Sorry for bulging in but i think Masood rose a very important general
question here, which is: how do i check if there are more pending packets
in the PMD Rx queue without actually polling them (out)?

As far as i see it the short answer is you can't. Or more specifically -
you shouldn't. Because if it happens that your code depends on it - it most
likely doesn't fit the PMD model.

The thing is that u can actually go and query the Rx ring about the number
of pending packets but the truth is that by the time u get this query
result it may already be wrong since new packets have arrived.

The only correct way to deal with PMD Rx queue is to actually go and poll
for new packets: if there are some - handle them and if there aren't any -
poll again.

This is my understanding of this.

Thanks,
Vlad

> On Aug 28, 2015 8:32 PM, "Gaohaifeng (A)" <gaohaifeng.gao at huawei.com>
wrote:

> > Please see  _rece_raw_pkts_vec function.
> >
> > Here is part of its comments may explain this question
> > /*
> >  * vPMD receive routine, now only accept (nb_pkts ==
> > RTE_IXGBE_VPMD_RX_BURST)
> >  * in one loop
> >  *
> >  * Notice:
> >  * - nb_pkts < RTE_IXGBE_VPMD_RX_BURST, just return no packet
> >  * - nb_pkts > RTE_IXGBE_VPMD_RX_BURST, only scan
RTE_IXGBE_VPMD_RX_BURST

http://dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__ethdev_8h.html#aee7daffe261e67355a78b106627c4c45