[dpdk-dev] 2.3 Roadmap

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Tue Dec 1 14:42:28 CET 2015

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 11:58:16AM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> that is indeed very similar to what we are thinking ourselves. Is there any of
> what you have already done that you could contribute publically to save us
> duplicating some of your effort? [The one big difference, is that we are not
> thinking of enabling kni permanently for each port, as the ethtool support is
> only present for a couple of NIC types, and solving that is a separate issue.:-)]
>
> /Bruce

Personally I was looking at something a bit different because I wanted an
ability to support lightning fast BPF expressions for security purposes, not
just debugging captures.

I got hold of a copy of the bpfjit implementation, with some tweaks to support
compiling on Linux and BSD in userspace mode, from Alexander Nasonov who made
it for the BSD kernel, as a result of participating here.

I am planning to use this to do the captures so you don't incur the headache
or performance issues with rte_kni.

I am curious how I might be able to link it up w/ the standard libpcap based
tools to get an end-to-end solution with minimal loss.

Matthew.