[dpdk-dev] [i40e] Failed to init adminq?

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Fri Dec 4 18:36:08 CET 2015

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 11:25:09 +0000
"Eimear Morrissey" <eimear.morrissey at ie.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having an issue with the i40e pmd failing to initialise a port. I've
> tried powercycling with the linux i40e driver removed and blacklisted as
> suggested here: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2015-June/019132.html, but
> it's still persisting. It used to initialise without issues so I'm not sure
> what could have changed? I'm running it in the host at the moment but I
> have used that port pci passthrough'd to a guest also.
>
> Any suggestions as to what could be causing this?
>
> Thanks,
> Eimear
>
> EAL: PCI device 0000:86:00.0 on NUMA socket 1
> EAL:   probe driver: 8086:1572 rte_i40e_pmd
> EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f5d40000000
> EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f5d40800000
> PMD: eth_i40e_dev_init(): Failed to init adminq: -54
> EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
>   Cause: Requested device 0000:86:00.0 cannot be used

For me, it turned out to be a bug in earlier version
of a patch to support xen dom0.  This happens if the memory zone
setup in i40e_allocate_dma_mem_d was not providing correct addresses.

Anyway check if you have that correct.

Also, updating firmware took more effort than expected.
  1. Need to run Intel's out of tree Linux driver for i40e
     or the version in 4.4-rc1 or later.
  2. Need to use Linux driver (ie no DPDK)
  3. System needs access to internet to download firmware

Overall, it is one of those "pray for bits" updates.