[dpdk-dev] DPDK Community Call - ARM Support

O'Driscoll, Tim tim.odriscoll at intel.com
Wed Dec 9 20:26:27 CET 2015

These are brief minutes of our community call on Tuesday. Please feel free to post any corrections or additions.

Attendees: Jim St Leger, Tim O'Driscoll, Konstantin Ananyev, Cheryl Edwards, Pablo de Lara Guarch, Declan Doherty, Mike Glynn, Dave Hunt, Bernard Iremonger, M Jay, Jerin Jacob (Cavium), Jitendra Kanitkar, John DiGiglio, John McNamara, Keith Wiles, Patrick Lu, Mike Holmes (Linaro), Olivier Matz, Prasun Kapoor, Raj Murali (Linaro), Remy Horton, Sergio Gonzalez Monroy, Thomas Monjalon, Walt Gilmore, Yoshihiro Nakajima, Siobhan Butler, Bob Monkman, Jan Viktorin, Ola Liljedahl (ARM), Ankit Jindal (Applied Micro), Fan Zhang
Note: This list is taken from the GoToMeeting tool, but since people joined/left at different times it may not be complete.

Jim gave a quick summary of last week's meeting:
- Dave Hunt summarized the status of ARM v7/v8 support. See the attached slides. Maintainers for v7 will be Jan Viktorin and Jianbo Liu. Maintainers for v8 will be Jerin Jacob and Jianbo Liu.
- Venky presented on External Mempool Manager. There wasn't time to complete the presentation so this was continued at this week's meeting.
- Bob Monkman is working on coordinating contributions to DPDK from the ARM community.

External Mempool Manager:
- Keith Wiles completed the presentation on this. Slides are attached.
- Goal is to support other memory management schemes. These could be HW or SW implementations.
- People should review the slides and post any other comments/questions on the mailing list.

Bob gave an update on plans for DPDK contributions from the ARM community:
- The original plan was to consolidate/coordinate contributions across vendors, but it looks like this may not be necessary. This may change, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be a need.
- Several ARM vendors (including Broadcom, Freescale) are monitoring the work being done in DPDK. They'll test with their hardware and engage with the community if/when they have issues or patches to contribute
- Bob will get others to review External Mempool Manager proposal to make sure it meets their needs.

Call to discuss Linux Foundation options for DPDK:
- This is a follow up to a discussion at the Userspace event.
- Jim St Leger would like to have a Linux Foundation rep present to the community on the options for using LF for DPDK. We'll discuss with the LF and arrange a time for this, before the holiday period if possible.

Tim