[dpdk-dev] VFIO no-iommu

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Tue Dec 15 17:53:18 CET 2015

On Tue, 2015-12-15 at 13:43 +0000, O'Driscoll, Tim wrote:
> [...]

The iommu model is different, there's no type1 interface available when
using this mode since we have no ability to provide translation.  The
no-iommu iommu model really does nothing, which is a possible issue for
userspace.  Is it sufficient?  We stopped short of creating a page
pinning interface through the no-iommu model because it requires code
and adding piles of new code for an interface we claim is unsupported
doesn't make a lot of sense.  The device interface should be identical
to existing vfio support.

> Thomas highlighted that your original commit for this had been
> reverted. What specifically would you need from us in order to re-
> submit the VFIO No-IOMMU support?

No API changes should ever go into the kernel without being validated
by a user.  Without that we're risking that the kernel interface is
broken and we're stuck supporting it.  In this case I tried to make
sure we had a working user before it went it, gambled that it was close
enough to put in anyway, then paid the price when development went
silent on the user side.  To get it back in, I'm going to need a
working use first.  You can re-apply 033291eccbdb or re-
revert ae5515d66362 for development of that.  I need to see that it
works and that there's some consensus from the dpdk community that it's
a worthwhile path forward for cases without an iommu.  There's no point
in merging it if it only becomes a userspace proof of concept.  Thanks,

Alex