[dpdk-dev] tcpdump support in DPDK 2.3

Arnon Warshavsky arnon at qwilt.com
Wed Dec 16 12:37:20 CET 2015

2 points from our experience in saving pcap files from a dpdk 10G fire hose:

1)
Our capture module provides a small "bit-vector" to the code that handles
the packets.
Since our packet processing code is already finding out basic stuff about
the packet traversing it (is it IPv4? v6?  is it TCP? is it fragmented?
..etc), it sets the relevant bits ON as it goes ,so that the capture module
can later quickly (mask against desired filters) decide if the a packet
needs to be captured.
Point is - when a capture layer exposes a slim API that lets it utilize
info coming from other modules , its easier and less expensive to handle
the fire hose.

2)
In many cases we are interested in capturing complete TCP flows, or at
least the first X packets of them.
In this case, A more expensive filter may be applied only on the SYN packet
and when matches, turns ON a bit on the tcp flow applicative context that
says we want to capture any packet falling under this tuple.
Point is - applicative filters at different costs are applied on different
packet types utilizing the mask from the previous bullet

Such a model should obviously need to be optional on a formal capture layer,
but when dealing with a fire hose - I find it very useful.

/Arnon

-

--

*Arnon Warshavsky*