[dpdk-dev] tcpdump support in DPDK 2.3

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Wed Dec 16 19:15:57 CET 2015

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 11:56:11AM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> Having this work with any application is one of our primary targets here.
> The app author should not have to worry too much about getting basic debug
> support. Even if it doesn't work at 40G small packet rates, you can get a
> lot of benefit from a scheme that provides functional debugging for an app.

I think my issue is that I don't think I buy into this particular set of
assumptions above.

I don't think a capture mechanism that doesn't work right in the real use
cases of the apps actually buys us much. If all we care about is quickly
dumping some frames to a pcap for occasional debugging, I already have some C
code for that I can donate which is a lot less complicated than the trouble
being proposed for "basic debug support". Or we could use libpcap's
equivalent... but it's quite a lot more complicated than the code I have.

If we're going to assign engineers to this it's costing somebody a lot of time
and money. So I'd prefer to get them focused on something that will always
work even with high loads, such as real bpfjit support.

Matthew.