[dpdk-dev] DPDP crash with sr-iov (with ESXi 5.5 hypervisor)

Vithal Mohare vmohare at arubanetworks.com
Wed Dec 23 05:32:29 CET 2015

Hi,

While initializing pci port (VF) DPDK is crashing while configuring the device.  Reason/location:
                PMD: rte_eth_dev_configure: ethdev port_id=1 nb_rx_queues=8 > 2
EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1

System info:
DPDK version: 2.0
NIC: 82599EB, sr-iov enabled.
SR-IOV config at ESXi 5.5 hypervisor host: max_vfs=2
Guest OS: Linux OS based.  Driver: ixgbevf.ko

VM is configured with 3 vCPUs.  Before linking the port to DPDK, I see that, pci device (VF) comes up with 8 rx/tx queues (using native kernel driver ixgbevf.ko, /sys/class/net/ethx/queues/*).  But DPDK code expect max queues for device to be '2' and hence the crash.   Am I missing anything here?  Appreciate for any suggestions/fixes for the issue.

Thanks,
-Vithal