[dpdk-dev] Errors Rx count increasing while pktgen doing nothing on Intel 82598EB 10G

Laurent GUERBY laurent at guerby.net
Sun Dec 27 19:31:38 CET 2015

Hi,

I reported today an issue when using Pktgen-DPDK:
https://github.com/pktgen/Pktgen-DPDK/issues/52

But I think it's more in DPDK than pktgen

two identical machines with SFP+ DA cable between them
DPDK 2.2.0 from tarball
Pktgen-DPDK from git
two identical machines:
core i7 2600 (sandy bridge 4C/8T), HT disabled in the BIOS
ASUS P8H67-M PRO BIOS 3904 (latest available)
Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82598EB 10-Gigabit AF Dual Port
Network Connection (rev 01)
01:00.0 0200: 8086:10f1 (rev 01)
	Subsystem: 8086:a21f
boot kernel 3.16 unbutu 14.04 with isolcpus=2,3,4

When launching pktgen even with no TX asked the Errors RX counters keeps
going up by about 7.4 millions per second:

Errors Rx/Tx : 7471857054/0

In the log I get "Could not enable Rx Queue", might be the
source of the issue?

PMD: ixgbe_dev_rx_queue_start(): Could not enable Rx Queue 0
PMD: ixgbe_dev_rx_queue_start(): Could not enable Rx Queue 1

When sending traffic  single UDP src/dst/IP/MAC the setup
reaches 14204188 pps 64 bytes, the error counter is also
increasing.

Any idea what to look for?

Laurent