[dpdk-dev] Previous DPDK version API documentation for app developers

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Thu Feb 12 10:29:12 CET 2015

Hi Matthew,

2015-02-11 23:06, Matthew Hall:
> Hi all,
>
> I ran into a funny situation today with the API documentation.
>
> For stability until I can get my app mostly working, I was using DPDK 1.7.X,
> so I could concentrate on making the app reliable. But the DPDK website only
> has the API docs for DPDK 1.8.X / HEAD.

Yes, previous policy was to publish only the doc of latest release.
But starting with 1.8 (first release including guides), we'll keep every versions.
Example:
	http://dpdk.org/doc/api
	http://dpdk.org/doc/api-1.8
The web page will be modified to list different versions.

> I was wondering if we could have copies of the most recent few versions in the
> site, and some scripts or steps to regenerate locally so you can get the
> matching version in the local machine.

Yes you can: make doc
For doxygen API only: make doc-api-html
For sphinx only: doc-guides-html.

> This would also help me to do some suppoert things for our community, like
> making small patches to fix parts of the docs with typos / formatting bugs.
>
> With the steps how to generate them right, I could fix docs bugs in the
> sources and make sure the docs read right afterward for others.

Thanks