[dpdk-dev] dpdk - poll mode - context switches

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Wed Feb 25 12:06:16 CET 2015

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:54:51AM +0100, Jog Lie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am not sure to understand the mechanism behind dpdk concerning the context switches.
> I have two user space applications that need access to the NIC according to incoming port rules (port 80 and port 443).
>
> How to be sure that DPDK spreads the load to the right application ?
>
> Will 2 dpdk instances be needed (one per app) -> two incoming packets analysis to "know" if the packet should be forwarded to
> the user space process ? Which would basically be the same thing as inefficient promiscuous mode.
>
> i don't understand that "filtering" point.
>
> Could you please clarify ?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Jog

Hi Jog,

The missing link in connecting applications which receive packets from port
80/443 and DPDK itself is the TCP/IP stack in use. DPDK itself does not include
any stack, so you'll need to select a stack to use with your applications. The
mechanics of how apps talk to ports and how traffic gets filtered to them is
largely the stack's responsibility.

/Bruce