[dpdk-dev] IPv6 Offload Capabilities

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Tue Jan 6 06:30:27 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 09:25:37PM -0800, Matthew Hall wrote:
> The same computation algorithm must be reused to calculate the IPV6
> Pseudoheader checksum when generating ICMPV6, UDPV6, and other L4 protocols
> whose definitions were retroactively modified to include the IPV6
> pseudoheader, that happen to use the same checksum in L4 which IP used in L3.

To clarify, this is the part of the RFC which mentions it:

Also, somebody else mentioned using TSO (TCP Segmentation Offload).

I did look at it but since it only seemed to work in TCP if I read everything
right, that'd mean I had inconsistent code for IPv4 versus IPv6 stack, and
inconsistent behavior for TCP from that for ICMP and UDP.

I was trying to avoid writing too much of this messy code if possible.

Matthew.