[dpdk-dev] Cross-compilation of bsdapp on Ubuntu

Neil Horman nhorman at tuxdriver.com
Mon Jan 12 14:51:28 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 11:21:32AM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 09:14:16AM -0800, Ravi Kerur wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone successfully cross compiled bsdapp on Ubuntu or other linux
> > flavor? From the Linux documentation I see
> >
> > "To compile all 64-bit targets using gcc, use:
> >
> > make install T=x86_64*gcc"
> >
> > which makes me believe that bsdapp can be cross-compiled.
>
> Actually, I think it's just that that bit got missed in the documentation update
> when we added bsd support. :-)
> I'm not aware of anyone who has successfully built a bsdapp dpdk application on
> linux or vice-version.

You're not going to be able to cross compile bsd on a linux system or vice versa
unless you install system level compat libs to handle all the OS-specific
library calls.  Those exist, but its usually not worth the effort to do so.
Just as easy/easier to install a virt guest with the appropriate operating
system.

Neil