[dpdk-dev] Why nothing since 1.8.0?

Neil Horman nhorman at tuxdriver.com
Fri Jan 16 17:56:02 CET 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 03:51:55PM +0100, Marc Sune wrote:

> On 15/01/15 19:51, Neil Horman wrote:
> >On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 06:25:33PM +0100, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> >>2015-01-15 08:06, Neil Horman:

> >>[snip]
> >>And that doesn't account for the ~500 patches that come in via pull
> >>request from the wireless subtree. Nor does it account for the merge
> >>window for net-next being 2 months instead of dpdk's 6 months.
>
> Neil,
>
> I don't want to hinder the discussion but: could you please point me out
> where this wireless subtree is?

There is none for DPDK, I'm drawing a comparison here.  The DPDK is trying to
split out subtrees at a granularity of 1 tree per pmd, which I am aruging
against because a maintainer for a pmd doesn't need their own tree to push to.

Instead I'm proposing a large granularity of where all drivers (or drivers of a
certain type) are housed in the same tree, like net-next:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/
or wireless:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/kvalo/wireless-drivers.git/

where one tree maintainer relies on the review of many subject matter experts to
validate the patches that they merge.

I'm making the comparison to argue for workflow process, nothing more.  You
won't find any wireless pmds anywhere at the moment.
Neil