[dpdk-dev] Any way to control port_id mapping?

Jay Rolette rolette at infiniteio.com
Wed Jan 28 03:26:53 CET 2015

Is there a way to control what ethernet port gets mapped to each port_id in
DPDK?

>From what I've seen, it looks like the port_id values just get assigned
based on the order they come back in the PCI probe/scan. Ideally, I'd like
to have the port_id values map reasonably directly to the customer-facing
labels on my appliance.

Label  : port_id
------   -------
Port 1 : 0
Port 2 : 1
Port 3 : 2
etc.

The PCI bus:slot.function values of the ethernet ports doesn't just sort
cleanly (no surprise).

I can work around it at higher levels, but it is a lot easier for debugging
and stats if there is a way to control how DPDK maps physical ports to
port_id values.

I didn't see anything in the docs or example apps so presumably the answer
is no, but thought I'd ask just in case.

Is that something other folks would find useful?

Thanks,
Jay