[dpdk-dev] Could not achieve wire speed for 40GE with any DPDK version on XL710 NIC's

Vladimir Medvedkin medvedkinv at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 14:06:08 CEST 2015

Hi Pavel,

Looks like you ran into pcie bottleneck. So let's calculate xl710 rx only
case.
Assume we have 32byte descriptors (if we want more offload).
DMA makes one pcie transaction with packet payload, one descriptor
writeback and one memory request for free descriptors for every 4 packets.
For Transaction Layer Packet (TLP) there is 30 bytes overhead (4 PHY + 6
DLL + 16 header + 4 ECRC). So for 1 rx packet dma sends 30 + 64(packet
itself) + 30 + 32 (writeback descriptor) + (16 / 4) (read request for new
descriptors). Note that we do not take into account PCIe ACK/NACK/FC Update
DLLP. So we have 160 bytes per packet. One lane PCIe 3.0 transmits 1 byte
in 1 ns, so x8 transmits 8 bytes  in 1 ns. 1 packet transmits in 20 ns.
Thus in theory pcie 3.0 x8 may transfer not more than 50mpps.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
Vladimir