[dpdk-dev] IVSHMEM hotplug support in DPDK

Mauricio Vásquez mauricio.vasquezbernal at studenti.polito.it
Tue Jul 14 11:06:37 CEST 2015

Hi All,

I am trying to understand if there is support for hotplugging of IVSHMEM
devices in dpdk. I set up a simple experiment where I hotplugged an ivshmem
device into a VM using the device_add command plus the command line
generated by rte_ivshmem_metadata_cmdline_generate in  QEMU monitor. It
appears to work, in fact, when I run lspci in the guest I can see the
device, but when I execute a simple dpdk application that looks for a ring
that was previously mapped into the device, it's not able to find it. In
fact when the application starts, the EAL appears not to find the device.

So my question is the following: is there support for IVSHMEM hotplug in
the current dpdk implementation?

I used the last dpdk version available in git, a host with a kernel
3.13.0-43 and a guest with 3.12.0-rc1.

Thank you very much.

Mauricio V,