[dpdk-dev] driver initialization in DPDK 2.0 built into a shared library.

Polevoy, Igor Igor_Polevoy at McAfee.com
Tue Jul 14 20:21:33 CEST 2015

Hi,
We are developing an application that uses DPDK PMD functionality .
We are using a linux shared library which contains the network packets processing code and it is statically linked with all the necessary DPDK libs.
The .so is loaded by the main program.
For the DPDK compilation we have added the -fPIC to the GCC options.

While it all worked fine with DPDK 1.6 where we had the rte_pmd_init_all method, in the 2.0 version the
drivers registration methods (PMD_REGISTER_DRIVER) are not called when the shared library is loaded.

Although, I can go along the lines of the rte_pmd_init all and manually call the driver registration, I'm concerned
that DPDK has other drivers initialization calls, and I don't actually know which are needed or could be needed and when.

Do you have any advice on that? What is the best way to resolve this issue?

Thank you
Igor.