[dpdk-dev] abi change announce

Neil Horman nhorman at tuxdriver.com
Thu Jul 30 12:33:43 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 12:18:41PM +0200, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 2015-07-30 09:25, Xie, Huawei:
> > Hi Thomas:
> > I am doing virtio/vhost performance optimization, so there is possibly
> > some change, for example to virtio or vhost virtqueue data structure.
> > Do i need to announce the ABI change even if the change hasn't been
> > determined?
>
> I have no strong opinion.
> It seems strange to announce something which is not known.
> You may be able to introduce your change without previous notice by using
> NEXT_ABI if not too invasive.
>
> Neil, an opinion?

Given the process, you can't announce the change until you know what it is,
since you need to detail in the announcement what the change is going to be.

We have no method to reserve an 'ABI break to be determined later', nor should
we.  Write the code, then we figure out if ABI needs to change and there is a
need to announce.

Neil