[dpdk-dev] config files maintenance

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Fri Jul 31 17:08:16 CEST 2015

Hi,

Currently most of the build options are duplicated in 2 config files.
They should be merged in a common file to avoid this kind of differences:

--- config/common_bsdapp
+++ config/common_linuxapp
-CONFIG_RTE_IXGBE_INC_VECTOR=n
+CONFIG_RTE_IXGBE_INC_VECTOR=y
-CONFIG_RTE_IXGBE_RX_OLFLAGS_DISABLE=n
+CONFIG_RTE_IXGBE_RX_OLFLAGS_ENABLE=y
-CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_I40E_RX_ALLOW_BULK_ALLOC=n
+CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_I40E_RX_ALLOW_BULK_ALLOC=y

Can we enable ixgbe SSE on BSD?
CONFIG_RTE_IXGBE_RX_OLFLAGS_DISABLE must be renamed to
CONFIG_RTE_IXGBE_RX_OLFLAGS_ENABLE, or can we remove this option?
Can we remove i40e bulk alloc option?
Why IEEE1588 is disabled? Can we remove this option?

Please help to fix it for the release 2.1.

After fixing the config, we have to think about simplifying it in 2.2.
It would be easier to have some kind of config overlays:
	config_base
	config_bsd
	config_linux
	config_osv
	config_gcc
	config_icc
	config_clang
	config_i686
	config_x86_64
	config_x86_x32
	config_ppc_64
	config_tile-tilegx
Then the defconfig files would include the above files.
Or better, we could allow some paramaters to make config:
	make config ARCH= OS= CC=

Thoughts?