[dpdk-dev] Is vhost vring_avail size tunable?

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Wed Jun 10 02:49:06 CEST 2015

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 16:02:04 +0800 (CST)
"Tim Deng" <dpdkdev at 126.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Under heavy work load, I found there were some packet lost caused by
> "Failed to get enough desc from vring...", is there any way to get the
> vring size larger?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

One thing that could help the DPDK virtio driver would be to support
INDIRECT descriptors. By using that, it is possible to get 256 packets
into the 256 slots in QEMU.  Currently half the slots are taken by
headers.

The implementation of vhost driver likewise needs to get support
for INDIRECT descriptors and some other features in order to use slots
more efficiently.