[dpdk-dev] DPDK and ASLR

Assaad, Sami (Sami) sami.assaad at alcatel-lucent.com
Sat Jun 13 00:53:58 CEST 2015

When I operate a DPDK based application, the EAL always reports the following:
EAL: WARNING: Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) is enabled in the kernel.
EAL:      This may cause issues with mapping memory into secondary processes.

Our application is DPDK client/server based and runs properly.

My questions are:

*         Is this warning of any importance?

*         Should ASLR be disabled?

*         Does ASLR affect DPDK performance?

Issue Update: 7. Re: How do you setup a VM in Promiscuous Mode using PCI

      Pass-Through (SR-IOV)? (Qiu, Michael)

The problem I had was due to the fact that RMRR was used by the HOST for the HP 10G NIC card; which prevented me from performing a PCI Pass-Through.
HP provided a BIOS and NIC Firmware update to resolve this.  It is to note that an Intel NIC having an 82599 Ethernet Controller did not generate the RMRR issue!

Best Regards,
Sami Assaad.