[dpdk-dev] rte_mbuf.next in 2nd cacheline

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Mon Jun 15 16:46:28 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 04:30:56PM +0200, Olivier MATZ wrote:

> On 06/15/2015 04:12 PM, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 04:05:05PM +0200, Olivier MATZ wrote:
> >> Hi,

Yes. However, this restriction should not be visible to the applications, as
it's generally necessary to call pktmbuf_free (or a function based off it) to
free an mbuf - whether in user code or a library.

> I think what you are describing could also apply to reference counter
> (set to 1 by default), right?

Yes, except that on free, the refcnt is actually set to zero, as we need to
do so because of the atomic nature of a refcnt e.g. it's 2 and then two
threads decrement it simultaneously. In a case like this, it doesn't matter
whether its set to 1 again on free or on allocation, as it's on cacheline zero.

/Bruce