[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-announce] important design choices - statistics - ABI

Dumitrescu, Cristian cristian.dumitrescu at intel.com
Thu Jun 18 15:00:29 CEST 2015

Counters are only accessible through API functions.

> Since the compile time flag
> CONFIG_RTE_<LIBRARY_NAME>_STATS_COLLECT already tells the
> application if the statistics are present or not, the application should simply
> use this flag to determine if statistics are accessible or not.
>
> 2. The suggested solution with only one single flag per library prevents
> implementing statistics with varying granularity for different purposes. E.g. a
> library could have one set of statistics counters for ordinary SNMP purposes,
> and another set of statistics counters for debugging/optimization purposes.
>
> Multiple flags per library should be possible. A hierarchy of flags per library is
> probably not required.

Morten, thank you for your input. It would be good if you could add your contribution to the of the guidelines documentation patch by replying to the thread that Thomas indicated: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2015-June/019461.html.

Our initial stats patch submission had a much finer granularity of stats configuration: per object type instead of per library, but a lot of people on this mailing list are against this, so we are now looking for one configuration flag per library.