[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-announce] important design choices - statistics - ABI

O'Driscoll, Tim tim.o'driscoll at intel.com
Thu Jun 18 18:55:45 CEST 2015

There's been some good discussion on the ABI policy in various responses to this email. I think we now need to reach a conclusion on how we're going to proceed for the 2.1 release. Then, we can have further discussion on the use of versioning or other methods for avoiding the problem in future.

For the 2.1 release, I think we should agree to make patches that change the ABI controllable via a compile-time option. I like Olivier's proposal on using a single option (CONFIG_RTE_NEXT_ABI) to control all of these changes instead of a separate option per patch set (see http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2015-June/019147.html), so I think we should rework the affected patch sets to use that approach for 2.1.

Tim