[dpdk-dev] KNI mac address

Vijayakumar Muthuvel Manickam mmvijay at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 07:50:16 CEST 2015

Hi,

I see that KNI interfaces get assigned random mac addresses each time I do
"ifconfig up" on the interface. Reason for this is mac address returned by
"random_ether_addr()" is assigned to the interface in kni_net_open() for
all NIC types except igb and ixgbe that have ethtool support.

I would like to know the reason for assigning random mac address and if is
it fine to transfer the actual port mac address from userspace during
initialization by adding a field to rte_kni_device_info and assign it for
the KNI interface ?

Thanks,
Vijay