[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-announce] important design choices - statistics - ABI

Thomas F Herbert therbert at redhat.com
Fri Jun 19 18:13:49 CEST 2015

On 6/19/15 9:16 AM, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 2015-06-19 09:02, Neil Horman:
>> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 02:32:33PM +0200, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
>>> 2015-06-19 06:26, Neil Horman:

>>> The idea was to make LIBABIVER increment dependent of CONFIG_RTE_NEXT_ABI.
>>> So one ABI version number refers always to the same ABI.

>>> The idea is to have only 1 compile-time option: CONFIG_RTE_NEXT_ABI.
>>>
>>> Your intent when introducing ABI policy was to allow smooth porting of
>>> applications from a DPDK version to another. Right?
>>> The adopted solution was to provide backward compatibility during 1 release.
>>> But there are cases where it's not possible. So the policy was to notice
>>> the future change and wait one release cycle to break the ABI (failing
>>> compatibility goals).
>>> The compile-time option may provide an alternative DPDK packaging when the
>>> ABI backward compatibility cannot be provided (case of mbuf changes).
>>> In such case, it's still possible to upgrade DPDK by providing 2 versions of
>>> DPDK libs. So the existing apps continue to link with the previous ABI and
>>> have the possibility of migrating to the new one.
>>> Another advantage of this approach is that we don't have to wait 1 release
>>> to integrate the changes.
>>> The last advantage is to benefit early of these changes with static libraries.
>>
>> Hm, ok, thats a bit more reasonable, but it still seems shaky to me.
>> Implementing an ABI preview option like this implies the notion that, after a
>> release, you have to remove all the ifdefs that you inserted to create the new
>> ABI.  That seems like an easy task, but it becomes a pain when the ABI delta is
>> large, and is predicated on the centralization of work effort (that is to say
>> you need to identify someone to submit the 'remove the NEXT_ABI config ifdefs
>> from the build' patch every release.
>
> It won't be so huge if we reserve the NEXT_ABI solution to changes which cannot
> have easy backward compatibility with the compat macros you introduced.
> I feel I can do the job of removing the ifdefs NEXT_ABI after each release.
> At the same time, the deprecated API, using the compat macros, will be removed.
>
>> What might be better would be a dpdk-next branch (or even a dpdk-next tree, of
>> the sort that Thomas Herbert proposed a few weeks ago).
>
> This tree was created after Thomas' request:
> 	http://dpdk.org/browse/next/dpdk-next/

Thomas, I am sorry if I went quiet for awhile but I was on personal
travel with inconsistent access so I almost missed most of this
discussion about ABI changes.

My understanding of the purpose of the dpdk-next tree is to validate
patches by applying and compiling against a "pull" from the main dpdk
tree. I think a good way to handle ABI change while effectively using
the dpdk-next might be to do as follows:

Create a specific branch for the new ABI such as 2.X in the main dpdk
tree. Once that 2.X branch is created, dpdk-next would mirror the 2.X
branch along with master.

Since, dpdk-next would also have the 2.X branch that is in the main dpdk
tree, submitted patches could be applied to either the main branch or
the new-ABI 2.X branch. Providing that patch submitters make it clear
whether a submitted patch is for the new ABI or the old ABI, dpdk-next
could continue to validate the patches for either the main branch or the
new ABI 2.X branch.