[dpdk-dev] DPDK packet capture question

Daeyoung Kim kdy1029 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 02:09:44 CEST 2015

Hello,

I am a newbie to DPDK. I'm making a packet capture program from the l3fwd
sample application. When I tested my program in a virtual environment, it
worked. But in a real world, it does not work correctly. In the virtual
environment, there are 3 VMs. VM1 sends DNS packets to VM3 and VM3 also
replies to VM1. VM2 as DPDK promiscuous mode captures the packets. In this
settings, the port 0 receives all the packets, but the port 1 receives
nothing. I want to get all the packets on both ports, but anyway it's fine.

Now, in the real world, a client sends DNS packets to a DNS server, but
between them, there are 3 switches. The DPDK port 0 is connected to the
switch 1 and the port 1 is connected the switch 3. The port 0 receives only
DNS queries and the port 1 receives only DNS responses. I use Intel I-350
NIC. The network looks like below.

CLIENT -> SWITCH1 -> SWITCH2 -> SWITCH3 -> DNS

           PORT 0                                                     PORT 1

I don't know how to fix it. When I tested with WireShark, it received both
packets on both ports.
Do you have any idea? Am I missing something?

Thank you very much in advance.
Dan