[dpdk-dev] DPDK v2.0.0 has different rte_eal_pci_probe() behavior

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Mon Jun 22 02:32:39 CEST 2015

On Jun 21, 2015, at 3:54 PM, Tom Barbette <tom.barbette at ulg.ac.be> wrote:
> Application call to rte_eal_pci_probe() is not needed anymore since DPDK 1.8.
>
> http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2014-September/005890.html
>
> You were not wrong before, it is just a change in DPDK. I came across the same problem a few days ago.
>
> Tom Barbette

So, we have a good practical example below about ABI compatibility.

The prototype and name of the rte_eal_pci_probe() was kept exactly the same, and it compiled fine with no change, but it fails at runtime because it causes a dual-init of all the PCI devices and hits a resource conflict in the process.

Thus it's important to remember you can break compatibility even if the ABI stays the same, if the APIs themselves don't behave the same over time...

Matthew.