[dpdk-dev] KNI performance numbers...

Vithal S Mohare vmohare at arubanetworks.com
Wed Jun 24 07:58:31 CEST 2015

Hi,

I am running DPDP KNI application on linux (3.18 kernel) VM (ESXi 5.5), directly connected to another linux box to measure throughput using  iperf tool.  Link speed: 1Gbps.   Maximum throughput I get is 50% with 1470 Bytes.  With 512B pkt sizes, throughput drops to 282 Mbps.

Tried using KNI loopback modes (and traffic from Ixia), but no change in throughput.

KNI is running in single thread mode.  One lcore for rx, one for tx and another fir kni thread.

Is the result expected?  Has anybody got better numbers?  Appreciate for input and relevant info.

Thanks,
-Vithal