[dpdk-dev] VMXNET3 on vmware, ping delay

Patel, Rashmin N rashmin.n.patel at intel.com
Thu Jun 25 22:56:16 CEST 2015

For tuning ESXi and vSwitch for latency sensitive workloads, I remember the following paper published by VMware: https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMW-Tuning-Latency-Sensitive-Workloads.pdf that you can try out.

The overall latency in setup (vmware and dpdk-vm using vmxnet3) remains in vmware-native-driver/vmkernel/vmxnet3-backend/vmx-emulation threads in ESXi. So you can better tune ESXi (as explained in the above white paper) and/or make sure that these important threads are not starving to improve latency and throughput in some cases of this setup.

Thanks,
Rashmin