[dpdk-dev] Queries on Pktgen

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Sun Mar 15 15:49:22 CET 2015

From: Shankari Vaidyalingam <shankari.v2k6 at gmail.com<mailto:shankari.v2k6 at gmail.com>>
Date: Sunday, March 15, 2015 at 2:53 AM
To: "dev at dpdk.org<mailto:dev at dpdk.org>" <dev at dpdk.org<mailto:dev at dpdk.org>>
Cc: Keith Wiles <keith.wiles at intel.com<mailto:keith.wiles at intel.com>>
Subject: Queries on Pktgen

Hi,

For testing an application that I'd developed,  I'd like to send LLDP frames from pktgen to the NIC port and then use DPDK to receive packets from the port and process the packets.

I have a PCAP file which contains LLDP frames in it.
I heard that pktgen has the ability to generate the packets specified in input pcap file.
I checked the options available with pktgen and can see only -s and -f options to be relevant.
But -s option seems to indicate the output pcap file, and -f option is for specifying the Lua script or command list to execute.

KW: The -s P:PCAP_file is used to define the port and file for sending via Pktgen, so the –s option is the correct one to use.

Hence please let me know which option I need to use for specifying the input pcap file from which the pktgen should generate the packets from,
 Also would like to know how I can specify the transmit and receive ports separately in the pktgen commandline

Regards
Shankari.V