[dpdk-dev] Queries on DPDK working with XL710 intel NIC

Roberts, Lee A. lee.roberts at hp.com
Fri Mar 20 16:30:35 CET 2015

Nissim,

Recent HP ProLiant servers use RMRRs (see https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/Intel-IOMMU.txt)
to communicate management information.  Use of these RMRRs conflicts with IOMMU usage.

On ProLiant Gen8 servers, you have a couple options:

1) If you are doing bare-metal testing and don't require the IOMMU, turn it off.
   Some kernels have "intel_iommu=on" set by default.  You should be able to use
   "intel_iommu=off" if your kernel enables IOMMU by default.

2) If your application requires the IOMMU, there are BIOS parameters that can be
   configured to eliminate the RMRRs on a slot-by-slot basis.  (I will send instructions
   for this separately, since it is not a DPDK issue.)

                                                  - Lee Roberts