[dpdk-dev] determine number of free TX descriptors in DPDK transmit queue

Walukiewicz, Miroslaw Miroslaw.Walukiewicz at intel.com
Mon Mar 30 11:51:13 CEST 2015

Hello,

Is there any method of determining the number free TX descriptor in specific TX queue?

I know that when transmit function is called with some number packets to send and then number returned by function is different than provided that means that queue is full.

This mechanism works good when we have packets that fits single DPDK descriptor (rte_mbuf).

But when we provide longer descriptors for example up to 64K-long packets with different size it is good to predict how much space is available in the transmit queue, because creating such longs packets Is expensive and the application could work much more effectively when such information would be provided.

Regards,

Mirek