[dpdk-dev] issues with packets bigger than 1500 bytes

Newman Poborsky newman555p at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 12:52:22 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'm having some problems with dpdk on links that have packets bigger
than 1500bytes. Some packets that are receieved are around 4K, and
some are 9k jumbo frames.

When using testpmd app, I can see a lot of RX-errors (both RX-missed and RX-badlen). When I set max packet length to 9000, RX-badlen counter stops increasing, but RX-missed still keeps growing.

What is the proper way to deal with jumbo frames?

I tried setting MTU to 9k, but this fails. From what I can see, you have to pass additional parameter to mp_init callback in rte_mempool_create(). Is this right?

I'm not sure should I just set max packet length (like in testpmd example app), or should I (also) set MTU? Is this actually related to the original problem of having a lot of RX-missed packets?

If I missed some documentation related to jumbo frames and MTU, I apologize, please point me to it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Newman P.